Revista Granito de Arena
Inaugurated in 1936, it was built in Art Deco style by Roberto Hoegg and Juan Domergue, being a meeting and entertainment point for the Guatemalan population of that time. With the construction of this building, neon lights made their appearance. The popularity and renown of this place declined for some time, but with the revitalization of Sixth Avenue, this important building has re-emerged, which today houses one of the most important international cooperations in the country. It is located on the corner of 6th avenue and 11th street.
This beautiful neoclassical building was built by José Minondo in the 1920s and served as the headquarters of the Guatemala Club. At present it has lost the elegance that characterized it, since the entire first level was modified to be adapted to commercial premises. It is located on 6th avenue between 10th and 11th street.
Elegant building built in the late 1920s by the architect Cristóbal Azori for Mr. Casimiro Rendueles. It was also known as Mansión San Francisco. Commercial stores and a hotel are currently operating in this building, which largely retains its originality, despite the fact that some windows were reduced in size on the first level. It is located on 6th avenue and 13th street.
The building was constructed in the late 1920s by the Phoenix Utility Co. It is still the headquarters of the Electric Company and is located at the corner of 6th Avenue and 8th Street.
This neoclassical style property was built in 1928 and is the work of the architects Juan Domergue and Cristóbal Azori. Later it was the headquarters of the Banco Hipotecario Nacional and is currently the headquarters of the Public Criminal Defense. It is located at 7 avenue 10-35.
Located on 9th Avenida Sur, the building was constructed in the late 1920s by architect Juan Domergue. Currently the building is the headquarters of the General Property Registry. Be the only one on 9th avenue 14-25.
The National Typography building had two construction phases during the first half of the last century. The first one ended around 1924 in which the Architect Gustavo Novella participated. The last section to be built was the West Wing in 1943. This construction has kept much of the original design, despite the construction of the last level. It is located on 7th avenue and 18 street.
Located on the corner opposite the Rodríguez and Luis Chan buildings, it was also built by Roberto Hoegg in 1929. Currently, several businesses occupy the building. The reduction of a door and the appearance of a window on the first level are among the few modifications in this building that preserves the original design. It is located on the corner of 9th avenue and 9th street.
Elegant building built in the late 1920s. It is located next to where the Congress of the Republic is currently located. At present this building is unoccupied and, although it has graffiti, its architecture has not been modified. It is located on the corner of 9th avenue and 9th street.
Majestic construction from the late 1920s by Roberto Hoegg. The elegant architecture in art deco style has made this building emblematic within the Historic Center of Guatemala City. In the beginning it functioned as a warehouse where imported products were purchased. In recent years it housed a cafeteria that emerged as part of the revitalization of 6th avenue and this allowed the beauty of the property to resurface again. It is located on 6th avenue and 9th street.
Buildings are symbols of cities and are giants that stealthily watch entire societies. The Historic Center of Guatemala City is undoubtedly the most emblematic place in the largest city in Central America.
In this second installment, we will learn about buildings that, due to their relevance, undoubtedly deserve a space in the history and architecture books of Guatemala.